Bayer Vapi is a core manufacturing site for the company globally and the single largest synthetic pyrethroids production facility in the world. Located at Vapi in Gujarat, it is fully backward integrated with production starting from basic chemicals to active ingredients and intermediates for application in crop protection, animal health as well as home and garden applications.
The site produces active ingredients for use not only in India, but also for exports to countries like USA, Brazil, France, Germany, Indonesia, Japan and Australia. Nearly 80% of the company’s production volumes are exported globally. Further, in addition to various internal customers within the Bayer world, the Vapi site manufactures custom-made intermediates required by other multi-national companies in the agro-chemical and animal health industry like Sumitomo, BASF, SC Johnson, etc.
The Company has invested over EUR 103 million (INR 830 crores) in the last 5 years towards enhancing capacities and infrastructure. Significant investments on site in the past 5 years include a state-of-the-art Global Formulation Technology Lab inaugurated in 2016, a fully automated DCS (distributed control system) plant for the manufacture of Cypermethric Acid inaugurated in 2018 with investments of EUR 42 million (INR 315 crores). The site also has a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) plant to cater to specific requirements of the animal health industry.
Spread over 85 acres, the Bayer Vapi site has 13 manufacturing plants for 9 active ingredients and 9 intermediates. It has excellent infrastructure including utilities, energies, incinerator, ETP (Effluent Treatment Plant), OHC (Occupational Health Center), raw material & goods warehouse safety, engineering and related functions. Bayer Vapi accords topmost priority to sustainable development, safety of employees, environment as well as the neighboring communities.
The sites which is more than 26 years old has over 1200 Full Time Employees. Bayer Vapi Private Limited is a 100% owned subsidiary of Bayer SAS France.
In India, Bayer’s Corporate Societal Engagement focuses on four essential pillars: Empowering Women, Fostering Education, Fostering Rural Development and Preventive Health & Sanitation. Projects undertaken at Vapi include supporting the renovation and construction of a modernized extension Audhyogik Vasahat Primary School at GIDC Vapi together with MAA Foundation, setting up reverse osmosis water purification plants, supporting healthcare facilities and camps in the vicinity.
- HR Excellence Awards (2nd runner up) for “Leading Practices in HR Transformation” by PeopleFirst in 2019
- Gujarat State CSR Award for “Cohesive & Strategic CSR Partnership Project” in 2018
- ‘Strong Excellence Commitment to HR Excellence’ award by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in 2017
- ‘Commitment to Excellence in Human Relations’ award by Employer’s Federation of India in 2017
- Sustainability Award for ‘Excellence in Safety in Chemical Sector’ by FICCI in 2015
- 'The Most Environment Friendly Company in Chemicals Sector' by Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) in 2015
- ‘LEEDTM India NC Gold’ by IGBC (Indian Green Building Council) in 2015
- HR Best Practices by Dun & Bradstreet India in association with Sodexo India in 2015
- ‘Best Boiler User Industry’ at SteamTech in 2015